Re: XForms 1.1 Last Call: comment about 4.4.5 The xforms-insert Event (PR#108)

The use case was described at the face-to-face, though it does not have to
be solved by the particular property specified.

The issue is that xforms-insert and xforms-delete are kind of useless if
you have no real way of detecting the exact nodes being inserted or
deleted (deleted being the harder case because you lose the ancestors).

The binding property was a simple "thunk" that could often be used to
synchronize the operation of insert and delete on a particulare nodeset as
being distinct from all other nodesets so that you can write conditional
event handlers for xforms-insert and xforms-delete that only take certain
actions if a particular nodeset has been mutated.

One argument against is that the binding property doesn't tell you whether
the binding was made by an XPath or an IDREF to a bind.  I'm sure other
arguments against will be posted in response to this email, but I wouldn't
be happy to see this feature go away unless replaced with something
better.  While less than technically perfect in a declarative world, I do
not think it is broken really.  It's just that it does what it does, so it
only works if you use it with care.  I'd like something better, but we are
wanting in that department.

For example, the suggested alternative was to add a generate-id()
function, so the 'if' on the event handler could compare nodes
inserted/deleted with those obtained by specific XPaths.  I believe this
works for the insert case and fails for the delete case.

Either way, it would help if you could stay on, Erik, as author of things
related to insert/delete and their events.  Would you be able to do this?

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
06/18/2007 09:18 AM
Please respond to
ebruchez@orbeon.com

public-forms@w3.org
cc
www-forms-editor@w3.org
Subject
Re: XForms 1.1 Last Call: comment about 4.4.5 The xforms-insert Event
(PR#108)

All,

Just to make things clear: the request for use case clarification falls
on John, or on whoever thinks that the "binding" property as currently
specified should stay in the spec.

If no compelling use case is proposed, we need to drop the current
"binding" property (but other properties can be proposed if they satisfy
a use case deemed worthy by the WG).

Best,

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/