choose() function return type

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:46:08 +0200
To: "Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
CC: www-forms-editor@w3.org

All,

In section "7.11.3 The choose() Function", I read:

   "If the types of the two object parameters are not the same
    (e.g. one node-set and the other a string), then the type of the
    object returned is determined by rationalizing the types of the two
    object parameters in the same manner as XPath comparison."

I am wondering why this needs to be specified at all. As per its
prototype, the function returns an object. At runtime, the returned
object will be either of the type of the first object parameter if
that first object is returned, of the type of the second object
parameter if that second object is returned.

Am I missing something?

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/