Question about help, hint and alert

From: David Landwehr <david.landwehr@solidapp.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:33:02 +0100
To: www-forms-editor@w3.org, www-forms@w3.org
Dear Working Group,

I am curious about the reason why there can be multiple alerts, helps
and hints elements as children under a form controls.

What is the expected rendering of several hints? Many implementations
use tool tips but what would several tool tips look like in that case?

What is the expected rendering of several helps? Many implementations
displays a help dialog but would one expect more than one dialog, should
it pick one or collect the elements into one dialog?

What is the expected rendering of several alerts? Some implementations
displays the alerts as inline content which make the rendering of alert
easy. Some implementations displays a modal dialog and here the question
is the same as for help and alert.

The only reason for having multiple alerts, helps and hints I can think
of is for localization in the UI using xml:lang but I thought that
XForms expect an author to use instances for localization so I wondered
if there is another reason. When creating a UI for XForms it seems to me
that having 0 or 1 help, hint and alert element would be easier to both
implement and use.

I have attached three testcases the working group can use for investigation.

Best regards,

David Landwehr (david.landwehr@solidapp.com)
Chief Executive Officer, SolidApp
Web: http://www.solidapp.com