Re: Compatibility between HTML, XForms, and WSDL

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Good point, that is an advantage. But what do we do about it? It
> violates both the HTML spec and the XForms spec. What I'd like to see is
> a uniform policy between HTMLs and XForms, perhaps as an errata to one
> or both.  What policy they choose is largely immaterial to me; they all
> have their strengths and weaknesses.
>
> What path do you think best?

The Web Forms 2 draft says that the current query value should be dropped
and replaced by the new one, which matches current practice:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#for-http

For existing UAs I don't really think changing to anything else is an
option, since there are sites that rely on this now. Changing it for HTML
UAs would simply break the Web.

I don't have an opinion about how it should work for new technologies like
XForms. Since there is no legacy content in those cases, it makes sense to
look at use cases and pick the technically best option, which is
presumably what the XForms working group did when deciding to simply
append -- in which case I would say appending is the better solution.