XForms CR - 6.1.3/6.1.4 - Catch 22 Interaction?

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:52:19 EST
To: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-editor@w3.org, Xforms@yahoogroups.com

It seems to me that there is a potential problem for the user of a form if it
is possible for required="true()" and relevant="false()" to co-exist. In that
scenario the table at the end of 6.1.4 indicates that the required by
non-relevant form control would likely be inaccessible to the user (unless he
had diagnostic powers which it is probably unreasonable to expect).

As I read the CR it would not be possible to submit the form because
required="true()" and the data hasn't been entered and it might not be
possible to access the required form control because relevant="false()".

Hopefully such a situation would occur rarely, but wouldn't it be better to
ensure that it cannot happen? It seems to me that it might be better if there
were a rule which indicated that a piece of data which is not relevant cannot
be required.

Andrew Watt