Re: WOFF can't be used offline (claim)

Chris,

all webfonts (i.e. also WOFFs) sold at MyFonts have a separate EULA from the desktop fonts, which are delivered as OTF or TTF.

But of course the blanket statement that "WOFF cannot be used offline" is incorrect. There are no restrictions in the WOFF format itself, and licensing terms vary largely. For example, there is no reason why WOFFs licensed under Apache 2 or OFL could not be used "offline".

The cited document says:

> The WOFF format stores that URL prefix in an HTTP header that is returned with the font when it is served by an HTTP server. If the font may be re-published freely, that can be indicated by using “*” instead of a URL prefix. But in the absence of that header, or if the font is not served by an HTTP server, the URL prefix is assumed to consist of the protocol, server and port of the server that served the font. It is undefined what that means for an offline book. Which means that fonts in the WOFF format, even free ones, cannot be used offline.

The Access-Control-Allow-Origin mechanism is not part of the WOFF format itself, but exists on a different level (where exactly?).

Certainly the phrasing "The WOFF format stores that URL prefix in an HTTP header" is imprecise. However, the document raises an interesting question that certainly should be addressed.

Best,
Adam

Sent from my iPad