Re: font formats and SVG2 (was Re: minutes, SVG WG Auckland F2F, day 3)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> John Daggett wrote:
>
>  Unicode variation selectors are supported in Firefox 4 on all
>> platforms.  The requirements are an OpenType font with a format14
>> character map, one that establishes the mapping between selector
>> values and variant glyphs.  An example would be Adobe's "Kozuka
>> Mincho ProN".  No commercially available OS ships with a font
>> supporting IVS, not OSX, not Windows 7 nor any version of
>> Android.  (If there is I would love to be corrected).
>>

> I think that is correct with regard to *Ideographic* Variation Selectors,
> but if someone is looking for an OS font with a format14 cmap for testing,
> the version of the Cambria Math font that ships with Windows 7 supports
> variation selector sequences for math symbols.
>
> JH

In a similar vein, aren't there Mongolian Variation Selectors in Microsoft's
Mongolian Baiti font?

(Admittedly, Mongolian is a bit odd because it has dedicated variation
selectors, not the generic ones used for other purposes.)

“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone,
 somewhere, may be happy.”
 —H.L. Mencken