Re: CSS3 font-weight, OFF OS2.usWeightClass, and weights which are not a multiple of 100.

David Berlow wrote:

> What is it good for now? Absolutely nothing. Can we assume
> width is also made useless too by the misinterpretation of 000
> to 999 as ten values?

Hmmm, on closer examination the OpenType spec defines the
usWidthValue [1] as a two-byte unsigned short (i.e. 0 - 65535)
but with a defined set of width values running from 1 - 9:

  1   Ultra-condensed     FWIDTH_ULTRA_CONDENSED  50
  2   Extra-condensed     FWIDTH_EXTRA_CONDENSED  62.5
  3   Condensed           FWIDTH_CONDENSED        75
  4   Semi-condensed      FWIDTH_SEMI_CONDENSED   87.5
  5   Medium (normal)     FWIDTH_NORMAL           100
  6   Semi-expanded       FWIDTH_SEMI_EXPANDED    112.5
  7   Expanded            FWIDTH_EXPANDED         125
  8   Extra-expanded      FWIDTH_EXTRA_EXPANDED   150
  9   Ultra-expanded      FWIDTH_ULTRA_EXPANDED   200

What misinterpretation of width values are you thinking about?
Specifically, I don't see there being a definition of width
values running from 000 to 999.

Regards,

John Daggett

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#wdc