Re: I18N-ISSUE-8: Direction attributes needed [WOFF]

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:50:54 +0100
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@w3.org>
CC: ML www-font <www-font@w3.org>, ML public-i18n-core <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, ML publc-i18n-bidi <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>
On Thursday, January 13, 2011, 12:17:11 AM, Kang-Hao wrote:

>> ICWGIT>  It should be possible to use markup to set the base direction
>> ICWGIT>  of any element in order to enable correct display of
>> ICWGIT>  bidirectional text.  We suggest a dir attribute with the
>> ICWGIT>  values rtl and ltr as a minimum.

>> I suggest that we accept this comment. This would be consistent with other markup at W3C like HTML and SVG.

>> Richard, I assume that the attribute would be optional and that, if omitted, the text direction would be determined by the Unicode directionality of the first character?

KHKL> I haven't looked at SVG but in HTML the default value is "ltr", and what
KHKL> you described is similar to the newly speced dir="auto" behavior in HTML5.

SVG has the same default
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/text.html#DirectionProperty

KHKL> I don't know which is better in WOFF. Did we discuss this in the i18n
KHKL> call yesterday? I couldn't really participate due to connection issues.

There were a lot of connection issues yesterday, happily since resolved.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG