Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> > Should glyphs in sfnt-SVG fonts reflect styling set up by the document's
> CSS that affects inline SVG?
> >
> > Given the above answer, definitely not, since a document's CSS only
> affects that document.
>
> This is something that I've been wondering about. An example: I make a SFNT
> wrapped SVG font that has three layers in each glyph: shadow, fill and
> highlight. A web author decides to use this font in HTML but doesn't like
> the colors that I've defined in the font. As I understand it, the web author
> would not be able to modify the colors defined in the glyph layers via CSS
> or any other means (apart from modifying the SVG in the SFNT). Is that
> correct?

Correct. However, you could apply color transformations to the text using
SVG filters, which would cover some use-cases (e.g. if you want to convert
color glyphs to grayscale, or darken them, etc).

In general I think it makes sense that if you want to modify the details of
some glyphs, you create a modified font.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our