Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

Hi,

On 27 Jun 2011, at 10:22, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

> Note that a typical fallback for SVG today is to use no fonts at all but
> the path element even without advanced graphical effects,
> see for example the SVG output of openstreetmap.org .

When you say 'use no fonts at all' do you mean 'embed glyphs into the SVG'?

I used OSM's SVG output last year for a project and there was certainly 'real' text at that time, expressed in the SVG like this:

      <text class="highway-name highway-pedestrian-name" dy="0.35px">
        <textPath xlink:href="#way_normal_2986299" startOffset="50%">Broad Street</textPath>
      </text>

I know that because I used CSS to format them into a locally-available and not permissively-licensed font before rendering as PostScript :)

Ben

--

Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html
+44 (0) 7780 608 659