Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:54:17 -0600
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, 3668 FONT <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> Glenn Adams wrote:
>
> > It is one thing to define a mechanism that can be used
>
>> by those who wish to control content use and dissemination; it is an
>> entirely different matter to mandate use of such a mechanism within a
>> content format definition or referencing scheme.
>>

> I understand this point. But in order for such a mechanism to be usable,
> it's implementation in the user agent has to be defined somewhere.

I do not disagree with this point. I disagree on where WOFF and CSS3-FONTS
has decided to define it. It should not be defined in WOFF or CSS3-FONTS; it
may be (but need not be) defined in a UA definition. For example, it would
be appropriate to define in a spec that makes normative reference to and use
of WOFF and CSS3-FONTS. If these latter want to give (informative) guidance
on how to do that without mandating it be done or how it is done, then that
is acceptable.

Samsung will vote NO on any PR transition for these two specs that mandate
same-origin semantics or mandate CORS in a UA.

Regards,
Glenn