Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 15:15 +0900, suzuki toshiya wrote:
[...]
> "writing XML document for the system without XML parser, or human"
> is slightly confusing task, but, I think WOFF is primarily designed
> for web technology, not for pure XML, so the extra restriction
> from non-XML issue would be acceptable.

It is perfectly acceptable for some specific XML-based format to say
they will only use UTF-8. It would not be acceptable to say, "in our
application we accept any XML vocabulary, but only in UTF-8" because
that would damage interoperability. But saying "our particulay format
must always be in utf-8" is not hurting interoperability, and is OK.

Hope this helps.

Liam