Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 03:24:45 -0400
To: suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp>
Cc: "\"Martin J." Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, robert@ocallahan.org, jonathan@jfkew.plus.com, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font@w3.org
On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 15:15 +0900, suzuki toshiya wrote:
[...]
> "writing XML document for the system without XML parser, or human"
> is slightly confusing task, but, I think WOFF is primarily designed
> for web technology, not for pure XML, so the extra restriction
> from non-XML issue would be acceptable.

It is perfectly acceptable for some specific XML-based format to say
they will only use UTF-8. It would not be acceptable to say, "in our
application we accept any XML vocabulary, but only in UTF-8" because
that would damage interoperability. But saying "our particulay format
must always be in utf-8" is not hurting interoperability, and is OK.

Hope this helps.

Liam