Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

From: <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:03:31 +0900
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: jonathan@jfkew.plus.com, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font@w3.org
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:52:52 +1200
"Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM, <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> Could you describe the expected advantage to exclude
>> UTF-16?
>>

>It's a lot simpler for anything consuming this data.

"Anything" is too broad to understand... Excuse me,
could you give me a concrete example of the system
or usecase that consumes WOFF but has some difficulty
to handle an XML in UTF-16?

I assume existing XML implementation can handle UTF-16
transparently, so I guess that the restriction to UTF-8
may introduce extra costs to fit existing XML handlers
for WOFF production.

Regards,
mpsuzuki