Re: [css3-fonts] recent edits

John Daggett wrote:

 > Based on discussions with the Fonts WG, in the latest editor's
 > draft of the CSS3 Fonts spec I've moved the description of the
 > same-origin restriction from an appendix into the section where
 > the @font-font rule is defined:
 >
 >   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#same-origin-restriction
 >
 > This was done to reflect the rough consensus that allowing for
 > some form of origin restriction for fonts with the ability to
 > relax it was desirable.
 >
 > There's been disagreement about the exact way to relax the
 > restriction, whether to use CORS which both Firefox and IE9 use,
 > or to come up with a more general mechanism for all linked
 > resource types (Anne's From-Origin proposal), so there's wording
 > noting that the exact mechanism used may change.

Anne's proposal is sketched here:

  http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/from-origin/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

and argued for here:

  http://annevankesteren.nl/2011/02/from-origin

I like the idea of having one mechanism for all web resources. This
way, css3-fonts doesn't need to say anything about HTTP headers and
such (which arguable is outside its scope). If we -- in CSS --
introduce a mechanism for @font-face, it's unlikely that a web-wide
mechanism will be established.

However, introducing a new web-wide mechanism is a big deal which
needs acceptance from more than just the css/fonts folks.

For now, I propose adding references to Anne's proposal in the issues:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#same-origin-restriction

Cheers,

-h&kon