W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-font@w3.org > October to December 2010

Minutes, 20 Oct 2010 WebFonts WG telcon

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:07:07 +0200
Message-ID: <7510726100.20101020170707@w3.org>
To: "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
Hello www-font,

Minutes of the 20 Oct WebFonts WG meeting at
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/20-webfonts-minutes.html

and below as text

                 WebFonts Working Group Teleconference

20 Oct 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Oct/0025.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/10/20-webfonts-irc

Attendees

   Present
          +1.206.324.aaaa, +1.443.895.aabb, +44.845.397.aacc, ChrisL,
          +1.425.882.aadd, sylvaing, +1.250.668.aaee, +1.510.816.aaff,
          sergeym, +1.978.790.aagg, John, cslye, tal, +1.415.738.aahh,
          jdaggett

   Regrets
   Chair
          Vlad

   Scribe
          Chris

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]lightning talk at tpac
         2. [6]action items and spec state
         3. [7]test suite plan
         4. [8]agenda for f2f
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 20 October 2010

   <jfkthame> Zakim: +44.845.397.aacc is jfkthame

   <sylvaing> trackbot-ng, start telcon

   <trackbot> Meeting: WebFonts Working Group Teleconference

   <trackbot> Date: 20 October 2010

   <scribe> Agenda:
   [10]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Oct/0
   025.html

     [10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Oct/0025.html

   <scribe> Scribe: Chris

   <scribe> ScribeNick: ChrisL

lightning talk at tpac

   Vlad: chris please explain what this is

   ChrisL (explains lightning talks)

   scribe: it would be on the wednesday

   Vlad: how many there on weds?

   <jdaggett> jdaggett, i will be

   i will be

   (discussion on whether weds is free or paying)

   Vlad: cost goes up soon

   ChrisL: its structured inter-group discussions

   Vlad: was good last year, enlightening

   cslye will be there mon-sun

   jfkthame: will arrive weds afternoon or evening

   Vlad: erik and tal will not be there
   ... had hoped jfkthame would be able to give the talk

   ChrisL: happy to do it

   <jdaggett> i second nominating chrisl

   John: nominate chris

   resolved: chris to do woff lightning talk at tpac

action items and spec state

   Vlad: want to get to Last Call right after TPAC
   ... tends to get more comments once it goes to last call

   ChrisL: yes

   Vlad: final review at f2f and then publish right after

   ChrisL: tpac a good time to discuss review time with other wgs

   Vlad: ok so lets get loose ends tidied up before f2f

   actions at [11]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/open

     [11] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/open

   John: were does the test suite fit in?

   Vlad: after last call, next step is candidate rec and we need to
   have a test suite to get out of CR (but not to enter it)

   ChrisL: tests and last cal lcan proceed in parallel

   action-15?

   <trackbot> ACTION-15 -- Jonathan Kew to split intro to remove these
   requirements and insert them into a new section, "normative
   references" -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [12]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/15

     [12] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/15

   jfkthame: not done yet, ties to action-24

   action-24?

   <trackbot> ACTION-24 -- Jonathan Kew to work with Chris L on
   reformatting footnotes section into normative and non normative
   references -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/24

     [13] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/24

   ChrisL: jfkthame and i wil discuss this tomorrow

   action-19?

   <trackbot> ACTION-19 -- John Daggett to specify exact algorithm for
   verifying a valid offset for metadata and private data of S3P5 --
   due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/19

     [14] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/19

   jdaggett: mentioned onlast call that edited note sent out covers it,
   so action can be closed.

   close action-19

   <trackbot> ACTION-19 Specify exact algorithm for verifying a valid
   offset for metadata and private data of S3P5 closed

   jfkthame: tightening up other points covered this as well

   action-21?

   <trackbot> ACTION-21 -- Chris Lilley to check that everything in
   section 8 correctly references a conformance requirement earlier in
   the spec. -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/21

     [15] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/21

   ChrisL: done that

   close action-21

   <trackbot> ACTION-21 Check that everything in section 8 correctly
   references a conformance requirement earlier in the spec. closed

   action-23?

   <trackbot> ACTION-23 -- Jonathan Kew to verify whether, with zlib,
   it's possible to have a stream that allows an EOF midstream, so
   extra data can be padded on mid-stream. -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [16]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/23

     [16] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/23

   Vlad: we discussed possible EOF in mdstream, concluded there is no
   such problem

   jfkthame: not looked into this one, planned to do some zlib testing
   with appended data

   Vlad: ok keep this one open, no effect unless we find there is an
   error case there

   action-24?

   <trackbot> ACTION-24 -- Jonathan Kew to work with Chris L on
   reformatting footnotes section into normative and non normative
   references -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/24

     [17] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/24

   Vlad: editorial

   action-26?

   <trackbot> ACTION-26 -- Jonathan Kew to section 6, license block:
   change "The license for the font." to "The licensing information for
   the font." -- due 2010-08-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/26

     [18] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/26

   its done, i see it in the new text

   close action-26

   <trackbot> ACTION-26 Section 6, license block: change "The license
   for the font." to "The licensing information for the font." closed

   action-27?

   <trackbot> ACTION-27 -- Chris Lilley to write up a test suite plan
   -- due 2010-08-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/27

     [19] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/27

   Vlad: keep open

   ChrisL: would like some more discussion

   action-29?

   <trackbot> ACTION-29 -- John Hudson to review woff faq with chris
   and vlad -- due 2010-10-06 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/29

     [20] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/29

   Vlad: progress, keep open

   action-32?

   <trackbot> ACTION-32 -- Chris Lilley to create a page for possible
   agenda topics -- due 2010-10-06 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/32

     [21] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/32

   ChrisL: oops

   <scribe> pending review
   [22]http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/pendingreview

     [22] http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/pendingreview

   close action-28

   <trackbot> ACTION-28 Add to section 8:"UA must reject the WOFF file
   if the decompressed length of a table does not match that specified
   in the table directory" closed

   close action-30

   <trackbot> ACTION-30 incorporate new propsed change proposed by
   jdaggett closed

   close action-31

   <trackbot> ACTION-31 Add a link to the schema proposed by ChrisL
   closed

test suite plan

   <Vlad> ChrisL: test suite plan review

   <Vlad> normative words are capitalized, should reflect that in the
   reference to RFC

   <Vlad> ChrisL email suggesting adding ids to the spec to mark up the
   testable assertions in the spec

   <Vlad> ChrisL: conflicting statements about table order and UA
   handling

   <Vlad> ChrisL: firm up the description of the procesing model to
   make it more formal and strictly define the conformance criteria for
   bit-to-bit compatible input and output SFNT files

   <Vlad> This includes requirements for checksum correctness.

   <Vlad> ACTION to ChirsL to write up the proposed text for WOFF
   processing model

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - to

   <Vlad> ACTION ChirsL to write up the proposed text for WOFF
   processing model

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - ChirsL

   <Vlad> ACTION ChrisL to write up the proposed text for WOFF
   processing model

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-33 - Write up the proposed text for WOFF
   processing model [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-10-27].

   <Vlad> discussion about whether SHOULD or MUST be used in the spec
   wrt lang attribute for an element

   <Vlad> Discussion about changing the 'id' attribute of uniqueID
   element to avoid conflict with XML rules

   <Vlad> The goal is for 'id' attributes not to be treated as an
   element id.

   <jfkthame> note that <license> element and subelements of
   <extension> also have optional 'id' attributes

   <scribe> ACTION: chris to add id and class to testable assertions
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2010/10/20-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-34 - Add id and class to testable
   assertions [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-10-27].

   <Vlad> ACTION Jonathan to add the language expalining that
   attributes with 'id' as a name should not be treated as element ids.

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-35 - Add the language expalining that
   attributes with 'id' as a name should not be treated as element ids.
   [on Jonathan Kew - due 2010-10-27].

agenda for f2f

   <Vlad> discuss test suite plans

   <jdaggett> i think we should also separate tests for tools from
   tests for user agents

   Vlad: quick spec review and decide to go to last call
   ... discussion on ac list, web page for people with spouses or other
   significant others
   ... joint meetings?
   ... css clearly
   ... ensure test suites are complementary

   <jdaggett> svg

   <Vlad> Information about Lyon: [24]http://esw.w3.org/Discover_Lyon

     [24] http://esw.w3.org/Discover_Lyon

   Vlad: i18n clearly

   <John>
   [25]http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/10/web_fonts_will_fl
   ourish

     [25] http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/10/web_fonts_will_flourish

   John: economist blog had a nice writeup
   ... primarily about woff

   <Vlad>
   [26]http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/10/web_fonts_will_fl
   ourish

     [26] http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/10/web_fonts_will_flourish

   Vlad: brief meeting and action item review next week

   <John> exit

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: chris to add id and class to testable assertions
   [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2010/10/20-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]


-- 
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain                 
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
 Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups
Received on Wednesday, 20 October 2010 15:07:16 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:01:42 UTC