Re: Including WOFF in ACID3

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:43:52 -0700
To: www-font@w3.org
Håkon wrote:

> Still Acid2 tests PNG images on the <object> element:

>   http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/guide/

> I think such assumptions are reasonable, even if some judgement calls
> must be made.

I think the reasonableness depends very much on the documentation of the
test, which is excellent for Acid 2 but lacking for Acid 3. In addition
to explaining what is being tested and how, documentation should also
point out where a particular test involves a possibility vs a
requirement, and ideally test scoring would reflect this difference too.
Since, at present, there is no finalised web standard for web fonts, a
reasonable current test would require support for one or more possible
formats, e.g. TTF, EOT or WOFF; once WOFF is a formally published W3C
recommendation, it will make sense for a future test to require support
for that format.

JH