Re: Including WOFF in ACID3

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:23:54 +0200
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Hi,

On 14 October 2010 09:51, Levantovsky, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:41 AM Dave Crossland wrote:
>>
>> As I recall,  "WOFF will be the required format for compliance, the
>> others being optional." was added to the spec when Microsoft was
>> playing hardball and refusing to do TTF fonts.
>>
>> Now that MSIE *does* TTF, how can we add TTF to the specs alongside
>> WOFF?
>
> With my chair of the WebFonts WG hat on - we have all agreed and
> approved the charter for the WG. By joining the WebFont WG as an Invited
> Expert, you made a commitment to abide by the W3C Process Document
> and participation conditions described in the WebFonts WG charter.
> Any work related to TTF is out of scope for this WG.

I thought we were talking about the spec, not the charter - please
accept my apologies for this mistake.

I expect not, but I can't tell from looking at W3C process documents:
Can the Charter be changed?

Currently, browsers who do not implement WOFF and who do implement TTF
pass ACID3 tests. Changing the test so they no longer pass isn't a
good idea.

Currently no browsers implements WOFF but not TTF. I don't see any
browsers cutting off the wide amount of already deployed sites using
only TTF.

As Håkon said, interoperability for installable ttf fonts is valuable
and should be preserved.

It is good that WOFF is included in the ACID3 test, but not if it
*removes* ttf from the test.

Dropping TTF from ACID4 is a different matter.

>> Clever use of TTF, Unicode-Range and transparent GZIP may outperform
>> WOFF for very large fonts, so I'd like to see  TTF standardised
>> alongside WOFF.
>
> If you have real facts to back up your claims and/or know a way
> to improve WOFF, please bring them to the attention of the WebFonts WG.

There was a discussion about this after John Daggett's meeting in LA,
which I recall you being there for; I have no further information at
this time.

Cheers
Dave