RE: Including WOFF in ACID3

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> I don't see how implementing what Sylvain has proposed would affect the
> features of the test. If the goal of ACID3 is to test @font-face
> functionality, then using TTF data format (that is optional to be
> supported by the browsers) cannot be considered a valid test - browsers
> may fail just because they do not support this *optional* format even
> though they are fully compliant with the CSS spec.

The goal of the test is to test TTF functionality as well.

TTF is a standard format, just like WOFF may one day be.

Note that @font-face is just as optional as TTF or WOFF support, or,
indeed, CSS support, or HTML support. Browser vendors pick what they want
to implement. No technology can be mandated; it's a free market. All we
can do is check that once you try to support a technology, you actually do
so in a manner that is consistent with that technology's specification.
You cannot mandate that WOFF be implemented. The market decides that.