From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Behdad Esfahbod
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:53 PM
To: Eric Muller
Cc: John Daggett; www-style; www-font
Subject: Re: [css3-text] fullwidth punctuation kerning

On 09/28/10 20:40, Eric Muller wrote:
>> Section 7.3 of the CSS3 Text spec details a property that effectively
>> controls kerning on a small subset of CJK punctuation characters:
>>
>>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#punctuation-trim

>> I don't quite see the necessity of of an author level property to
>> control this unless it's something that is really controlled at an
>> author level stylistically.  In fact, supporting this in a browser
>> that uses an OpenType layout engine would effectively require
>> *undoing* layout based kerning information contained in fonts,
>> especially since the default is 'none'.
>
> The spacing behavior of East Asian text cannot be implemented via the
> OpenType kern feature, and in practice is not. Consider the first
> example and the case where the  〔 and  the (  come from different
> fonts or are at different point size; the 'kern' feature will
> therefore not necessarily "see" both glyphs. Furthermore, the rules
> for aki behaviors are really style rules and vary from one place/user/document to another.
> You can already see in the JLREQ document three different sets of
> values, and a layout engine like InDesign offers a dozen or so
> built-in sets of values, and lets the user change them arbitrarily.
> This implies that nothing can be usefully be built in the fonts.

To me it seems like you are trying to justify solving the (very real) problem of kerning / interaction across font boundaries at the CSS level.  While I agree that this is a problem well worth solving, I'm not sure CSS is the right medium for this.  To be honest, I don't have a solution to propose, but if this is so serious, I think there are obvious proposals that can be made to the OpenType mailing list (eg. lookups that deal partly with character codes instead of glyph codes...).

Looking forward...

behdad