Re: [css3 fonts] font-specific features

From: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 20:15:34 -0400
Cc: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>

On Sep 17, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> This is not directly related but allow me to use the opportunity
> to ask the same dumb question I asked at Typecon: how do authors
> find out about the features available in a font and the correct
> integer values to use ?

I think this will be a foundry education issue. Right now most foundries provide PDFs detailing the features in the fonts. For example, Commercial Type has documents like this:

	http://commercialtype.com/typeface_images/platform/platform/Platform-OT.pdf

Some of these documents even contain information explaining how to get to the features in applications like the Adobe CS, Quark Xpress, etc.

The integers are a new level of specificity that foundries will have to document. That shouldn't be terribly difficult to do.

> Next question for the Web Fonts WG is: would an enumeration of
> the features available in a font be a valuable use of the WOFF
> metadata block ? I suspect it would make the latter far more
> valuable to authors and thus add incentives for browser/tool
> vendors to display its content.

That's an interesting idea. I think it could be useful.

Tal