Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 4:00 AM, Thomas Phinney wrote:
>
>> I should clarify that I am not seeking a change in the default behavior, but if the existing behaviors are to persist, it would be a Very Good Thing if there were some mechanism to suppress or turn off all faux italics and faux bold.
>
> How about this:
>
> @font-face {
>  font-family: MyFont;
>  src: local(Arial);
> }
>
> @font-face {
>  font-family: MyFont;
>  src: local(Arial);
>  font-style:italic
> }
>
> @font-face {
>  font-family: MyFont;
>  src: local(Arial);
>  font-weight:bold;
> }

This is, indeed, the correct and already-working way to say "don't
synthesize my bold - I know exactly what I want for it".

Unless you want it to fallback to another font, for the
bold/italics/whatever, in which case you can just specify that font as
the italic face of your font-family.  (The only way this can go wrong
is if you have multiple font fallback stacks that all start with the
same font but then fallback to different fonts.  That's... definitely
an edge case.)

~TJ