W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-font@w3.org > July to September 2010

Minutes, 11 August 2010 WebFonts WG telcon

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:52:24 +0200
Message-ID: <857721087.20100811165224@w3.org>
To: public-webfonts-wg@w3.org
Hello,

Minutes of the 11 Aug 2010WebFonts WG telcon are at
http://www.w3.org/2010/08/11-webfonts-minutes.html

and below as text

                 WebFonts Working Group Teleconference

11 Aug 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Aug/0024.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/11-webfonts-irc

Attendees

   Present
          jfkthame, jdaggett, +1.510.816.aaaa, Vlad, ChrisL, cslye,
          tal, +1.250.247.aabb, +31.70.360.aacc, John, +1.425.882.aadd,
          erik, +1.415.796.aaee, Dave, sylvaing

   Regrets
   Chair
          Vlad

   Scribe
          ChrisL

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Review and finalize the TypeCon WOFF presentation draft
         2. [6]F2F logistics
         3. [7]Review and approval of the proposed F2F agenda
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 11 August 2010

   <jdaggett> sure

   <scribe> scribe: ChrisL

   Vlad: agenda ok?

Review and finalize the TypeCon WOFF presentation draft

   [9]http://static.typesupply.com/downloads/typecon/2010-08-10_WOFF_Ty
   peCon.pdf

      [9] http://static.typesupply.com/downloads/typecon/2010-08-10_WOFF_TypeCon.pdf

   Vlad: any comments?
   ... presntation good, hits all the major points needed and is nicely
   concise

   Tal: seems to be 10-15 mins with rapid slide runthrough

   Vlad: on a historical point, the initial proposal and the current
   work should be distinguished
   ... work of the WG should be noted

   Tal: what would you change?

   Vlad: should be careful to indicate who is currently working on it

   ChrisL: speaker notes not typically for public consumption

   tal: ok, point taken

   Maybe on slide 7, change 'we' to 'the WG'

   jdaggett: so its a transition from three people to the wg;
   presentation seems to say that

   ChrisL: about the logos

   tal: no objections to logos on the WG slide

   sergeym: browser logos in there too

   Vlad: do we need permission for browser logos

   ChrisL: have the version numbers handy so people know where the
   support is shipping and where its in development

   tal: add version numbers?

   ChrisL: clutter. just be ready to answer questions

   John: time for a quick demo?

   tal: pulling up a terminal slows things down

   John: UI on the tool?
   ... good to convey usability - typecon panel last year, many of the
   audience make fonts.
   ... useful to convey a workflow, how easy it is

   ChrisL: screenshot of sfnt2woff foo.otf :)

   John: coordinating the session, what is the best order for speakers

   ChrisL: 10 mins fine for me, and tal should go before me
   ... on tools slide, add fontforge
   ... also good to encourage other font creation tools to support woff
   export

   fontforge [10]http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

     [10] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

   Tal: pdf export does not fully represent the slides

   Vlad: other comments on the draft?

   cslye: when introducing the acronym, good to have the full name
   written on a slide, rather than just speaking it

   Vlad: on first slide, as it often stays up for a while

   <jdaggett>
   [11]http://static.typesupply.com/downloads/typecon/2010-08-10_WOFF_T
   ypeCon.pdf

     [11] http://static.typesupply.com/downloads/typecon/2010-08-10_WOFF_TypeCon.pdf

   Dave: just sent a list of company logos, couple missing in high
   quality

F2F logistics

   Vlad: quote for drinks and snacks was pretty high; there is a
   starbucks in the lobby
   ... also a mall across the street with a food court, so fine for
   lunch
   ... projector rental is also expensive. anyone can bring one?
   ... especially soneone local, or driving to LA

   cslye: I will be
   ... maybe can get a projector, will ask around
   ... a portable one like sales folk use

   John: what about a screen?

   Vlad: can buy a screen, cheaper than to rent

   sylvaing: white wall can be fine

   <cslye> I will report back on projector status at the end of day
   (PDT).

   jdaggett: paper?

   Vlad: room is being used for several sessions, including css3 font
   on weds - bigger room, not sure if it has a screen

   sylvaing: do we have a room name/number?

   Vlad: not yet
   ... but rooms are allocated now

   sylvaing: please mail out the room number once we know it

   Vlad: we could all chip in for a screen maybe

   John: cslye please let me know about a projector, impacts the av for
   the css session too

   ChrisL: networking I assume?

   John: yes, typecon network should be there ...

   cslye: recall that the smaller room has no wireless but larger room
   does

   <erik> otherwise we relocate to starbucks for the meetings as well
   as the breaks..

   <cslye> :)

   Vlad: right next to the lobby
   ... 10-18:30 ok?
   ... anyone arriving that morning?

   <sylvaing> arriving the night before as well so this is fine

   jdaggett: is there a phone in the room, so we can get jfkthame on
   the phone?

   Vlad: not sure, didn't ask. can skype if there is wirelesss

   <cslye> Just wondering if we anticipate actually filling the full
   timeslot. Anybody thought about that?

   <sylvaing> (we can use my iPhone as long as we hold it properly)

   cslye: will we use the whole time?

   <jdaggett> wise guy...

   ChrisL: depends on the agenda actually

Review and approval of the proposed F2F agenda

   Chris: (wordy way of saying its fine)

   jdaggett: one person should take lead on test suite

   ChrisL: thats me
   ... what about review of CSS3 @fontface tests

   jdaggett: test cases for things where conformance is on browser , an
   automated or reftest format .... good thing but we have a lot to
   cover already

   Vlad: would fit under joint work with css/xsl/svg. includes joint
   tests as well as planning liaisons

   resolved: agenda is approved

   jdaggett: need to nail down a tie for discussion of cooments so
   jfkthame can know when to call in

   Vlad: starts at 10
   ... 10:30 to 11:30

   <John> Another option for projector (and screen?):
   [12]http://compurentinc.net/default.aspx

     [12] http://compurentinc.net/default.aspx

   Vlad: so 18:30-19:30 in the UK
   ... maybe assume 10:15 start

   jfkthame: sounds fine, good to have the number to call

   Vlad: we can call jfkthame
   ... observers are permitted, as observers

   jdaggett: please send a message with the exact location

   Vlad: will do

   jfkthame: will make a round of edits so we have a fresher draft

   meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]


-- 
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris@w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
Received on Wednesday, 11 August 2010 14:54:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:01:42 UTC