W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-font@w3.org > July to September 2010

Minutes, 21 July WebFonts WG telcon

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:44:40 +0200
Message-ID: <632151762.20100721224440@w3.org>
To: www-font@w3.org
Hello www-font,

  http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html

or below as text

                 WebFonts Working Group Teleconference

21 Jul 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Jul/0002.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-irc

Attendees

   Present
   Regrets
   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          chrisl

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Review of the Editor's draft of the WOFF specification
         2. [6]Planning our first F2F meeting at Typecon 2010
         3. [7]public outreach strategy
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 21 July 2010

   zakimm microsoft holds sergei

   <scribe> scribe: chrisl

Review of the Editor's draft of the WOFF specification

   Vlad: any comments?

   ChrisL: couple of broken links, sent mail

   tal: some formatting issues with code vs tt

   jfkthame: fixing them now

   vlad: any objections to publication as fpwd?

   (none)

   Resolved: publish woff spec as a fpwd

   <scribe> ACTION: chris publish woff spec [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-10 - Publish woff spec [on Chris Lilley -
   due 2010-07-28].

Planning our first F2F meeting at Typecon 2010

   Vlad: want to set up agenda, ensure we are all on same page for next
   steps and work items

   ChrisL: marking up testable assertions in the spec to check off the
   test suite

   vlad: good idea

   <cslye> +1

   Vlad: conformance document is a deliverable, not sure if its a
   separate doc or part of woff spec

   ChrisL: we can do it either way

   Vlad: in my opinion, for test suite to be succesful we need some
   fonts to serve. although its for any sfnt format, for test purposes
   at least one format that must be supported is needed
   ... dont need to make a decision now but discuss at f2f

   christopher: providing fonts, or specifying a mandatory format?

   Vlad: both
   ... need so me fonts converted to woff and converted back; some text
   to have woff applied

   cslye: so open licensed fonts?

   Vlad: need not be a commercial quality font for testing. but we need
   a mandatory format, for conformance and for testing

   ChrisL: obvious answer is Opentype

   Vlad: obvious but never mentioned

   ChrisL: so a separate spec could say you must support css3, woff,
   opentype in woff, etc

   cslye: so a format is required for conformance testing?

   Vlad: and for interoperability.
   ... woff on its own, format agnostic, does not give interop

   sergeym: would expect this to be a spec requirement. should not
   require opentype support

   Vlad: we can discuss more at f2f.
   ... ok lets think about and bring informed opinions to the f2f

   <sergeym> I actually meant this should be test suite prerequisite,
   not part of the WOFF spec.

   Vlad: for f2f meeting we need to establish a work plan, most
   important part is identifying people responsible to do items of work
   ... so please review the set of deliverables, look for areas you can
   contribute
   ... we have a woff calidator that can be contributed by tal

   tal: requires some work, but pretty far along

   ChrisL: happy to take lead on test suite

   Vlad: good to agree an agenda for f2f

   ChrisL: good to start the list of implementations on the wiki so its
   ready to discuss at f2f

   Vlad; need to review spec and identify testable assertions

   Vlad: please add your own implementations

   cslye: also implementations from outside the group

   Vlad: can publicise on www-font

public outreach strategy

   Vlad: good to get public attention along with fpwd to get good
   review
   ... may also get contributors outside the wg
   ... publicity is good

   <scribe> ACTION: chris to ask about a press release [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-11 - Ask about a press release [on Chris
   Lilley - due 2010-07-28].

   Vlad: aim is to get lots of comments
   ... assume we will use opportunities at typecon. tal, you were
   willing to make a presentation?
   ... john, you mentioned also w3c development process, is that
   useful?

   john: a brief overview
   ... what 'web standard' means

   ChrisL: panel is which day?

   cslye: last i heard from tammye was friday

   vlad: not everyone can stay til sunday

   <John> John said that, not me. (Last I heard...")

   ChrisL: css wg meeting starts on monday so i will leave saturday
   evening

   cslye: presentation materials for typecon - hard copy?

   <cslye> That was me. :)

   vlad: good to have slides etc and to view at f2f beforehand
   ... once conference program is known we will have a better idea

   cslye: up in air, but expecting a substantial block of time for
   webfonts panel, may include some background presentation time
   ... followed by open discussion.

   John: who is moderating the panel?
   ... good to get the participants to discuss beforehand, well worth
   doing, meet on Thursday

   cslye: agree

   Vlad: been asked if public can be present at f2f meeting. not sure
   if they can join
   ... we operate in public so it should be ok

   ChrisL: observers or contributors?

   Vlad: observers

   ChrisL: that is fine if we agree to it

   cslye: early, so many folks not around.
   ... not heard anything more about using the space

   (adjourned)

   Vlad: probable regrets next week, travelling

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: chris publish woff spec [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: chris to ask about a press release [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     ______________________________________

-- 
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris@w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
Received on Wednesday, 21 July 2010 20:44:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:01:42 UTC