Wrapper not format

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:47:40 +0100
To: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
CC: rfink@readableweb.com, www-font@w3.org
On Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 10:17:20 PM, Liam wrote:

LREQ> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 16:05 -0500, Richard Fink wrote:
LREQ> [...]

>> So, my WOFF file can contain a TTF, or a OTF CFF file, or some other
>> format, but how do I go about differentiating the two so as to target
>> the font format contained within it to a particular platform or user
>> agent?

LREQ> This is the sort of question that I hope a fonts working group would
LREQ> answer.

Yes.

And the problem reminds me of what happened when "gzip" was treated as a format, with it's own MIME type, and two communities - one of which assumed all gzipped files were PostScript, the other assuming all gzipped files were VRML - collided.

The solution was to invent Content-Encoding, so that the format (Content-Type) and the wrapper or transport aspects were separate.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG