Re: Webfonts from FontFont

From: Adam Twardoch (List) <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:23:24 +0100
To: "'www-font'" <www-font@w3.org>
CC: rfink@readableweb.com
Richard Fink wrote:
> I'd like to announce the availability of a new free tool for creating
> natively compressed EOT files: EOTFAST.
> http://eotfast.com
> Savings in file size typically range from 45% to 70%.
> It's fair to say that other conversion utilities like Microsoft WEFT or
> ttf2eot are now obsolete.

Richard,

I was very happy to discover your tool a few days ago. Of course, your
statement that other utilities "are now obsolete" is only true if one
uses Microsoft Windows. EOTFAST is a Windows-only commandline utility,
and since it uses a Windows API call to use the Windows built-in
conversion, I understand that there is no way to port it to Mac or
Linux. Using a virtual machine to run one commandline utility sounds
like a little bit like an overkill, and in some conversion scenarions
(e.g. on a web server running Linux), it's pretty much impossible.

Yet I agree that your utility is highly useful, and I'm glad you chose
to distribute it as donationware.

Regards,
Adam

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Reporter: "So what will your trip to Ireland look like?"
Lech Wałęsa: "I get into a car, then onto a plane, and then the other
way around."