Re: [css3-fonts] low-level font features

Bram Pitoyo wrote:

> Good point. Like Tal and Jonathan wrote, allowing the use of
> unregistered—and therefore unmapped—feature tags will mean that users
> will get to implement their own low-level OT features rather than
> hacking existing tags to suit their needs.

With the caveat that interaction between unregistered layout features
and standard text shaping features is likely to have poor
predictability. Unlike AAT and Graphite, the OpenType Layout model
presumes an intelligent layout engine that looks after standard text
shaping by applying layout features in an ordered sequence. I'm guessing
that layout engines encountering unregistered features, if they do
anything with them at all, will process them after registered features,
but to my knowledge there is no standard protocol regarding this.

JH