Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Sunday, June 20, 2010, 12:48:04 AM, Laurence wrote:

LP> Liam,

LP> Are you saying you support, in principle, the idea of a vast and
LP> complex raw XML document (ok, maybe without the <?xml ... ?>) as the value of a key-value pair?

No, he is saying he does *not* support the idea of a vast and complex and obfuscated XML document as the value of an attribute :)

Liam and James are correct, and such a proposal would rapidly be criticized by the internationalization working group at last call.

Human-readable strings should be element content, not attributes; this is because in some languages they may require markup for things like Ruby (in Japanese and Chinese) or bidirectional overrides (in Hebrew and Arabic).

Obfuscated xml stuffed into attributes means that xml tools such as xslt cannot get at it. I note that one obvious implementation path for a 'font properties' metadata-displayer would be xslt.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG