Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Thursday, June 17, 2010, 7:36:44 PM, James wrote:

JC>> I'd go a bit further, though, and make it a SHOULD that the text
JC>> would use entities only for '&' and '<'.

CL>> No reason to forbid entities, as long as they are declared in
CL>> the instance.

JC> I guess I got used to problems due to entities which were presumed
JC> rather than declared.  I'm sure they do indeed work well when they
JC> are propperly declared. ☺

Yes, indeed you are correct to worry about undeclared entities (or entities declared in the external DTD subset) since those will give well formedness errors. Its a common mistake for authors to assume that entities they use in HTML are also available 'for free' in arbitrary XML.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG