Re: WOFF and extended metadata

LV> 1) Localizable metadata extension as proposed by Jonathan Kew [13]
LV> (with detailed description of the simple set of rules) - this is my
LV> personal favorite:

LV> <extension lang="en"><!-- untagged subelements are English -->
LV>   <item>
LV>     <name>Message</name>
LV>     <name lang="nl">Bericht</name>
LV>     <name lang="fr">Message</name>
LV>     <value>Hello!</value>
LV>     <value lang="nl">Hallo!</value>
LV>     <value lang="fr">Salut!</value>
LV>     <value lang="fr-CA">Bonjour!</value>
LV>     <value lang="ja">こんにちは。</value>
LV>   </item>
LV> </extension>

Of the three in your message, this is the best, presuming that lang
tagging is optional.  Ie, something like:

should be rendered in all locales, notwithstanding the language or
script in which the foo and bar happen to be.

The use of lang="" is common in XML and therefore well understood and
implemented.  Having the tag apply by default to child elements of the
XML tree is also common, well understood and implemented.  And having
the name:value tuples as plain text enclosed by tags helps ensure that
the XML will be well formed, given the limits on text w/in a <>.

I'd go a bit further, though, and make it a SHOULD that the text would
use entities only for '&' and '<'.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6