Re: WOFF and extended metadata

Tal wrote:

> Regarding the extension block: I haven't defended its existence because it wasn't my invention. All I did was try to bring it in line with the rest of the spec. I can't give you specific examples of what the extension block will be used for, but I can come up with some hypothetical examples off the top of my head:
> - Legal statements required in the future that are not of the license, copyright, trademark variety.
> - Parametric font description data.
> - Client specific data.
> - The EPAR/EEULAA info that has been kicked around for years.

Yes, that's along the lines I would anticipate.

There's a reasonable debate to be had about whether EPAR data belongs at
the WOFF container level, the font data level, or both, but if you're
looking for a use case for the extension metadata I think one could
start with looking at David's EPAR draft (link?) and determining how
that data could be represented within extended WOFF metadata. It's a
good case of what font makers might want to include.

Regarding localisation, I believe that licensing, trademark and other
legal strings are most likely to be localised. Will all or even most
fonts contain localised strings? Probably not. Most OT fonts don't
either, but some do. We produce fonts for a clients in countries where
English is not the first language, for local scripts and languages, and
being able to localise data in those languages is a welcome option to be
able to present to clients.

JH