RE: WOFF and extended metadata

I'm not sure what you're saying. My proposal defines everything that a
browser will render, including an extension point allowing font vendors
to add their own data to the font info UI. Once I have written rendering
code for such a format, I *am* done. The metadata we have already defined
will render. The  conforming metadata you and others add will render too.
All of it. It will work the same in 10 years as it would next week.

As for unknown XML, I can't prevent it, and vendors may even want to
include things they don't need browsers to render. As rendering that
would be entirely optional, I don't need to worry about it either.

Thus instead of limiting the metadata to what we've defined and making
anything else optional, I'm trying to cover 90% of what's going to be
needed in practice at the lowest possible cost for everyone. I am also
trying to reduce the odds that we need to rev this schema anytime soon,
most likely to add simple sets of properties that can be mapped to
name-value pairs. That would be a waste of our collective time, imo.

> 2. Establish a some restrictions that govern the structure of the
> metadata in general. (Nesting, lang attribute, etc.) State that
> extensions are allowed and extensions that follow the structural rules
> may be displayed by a UA.
>
> This makes it possible for UAs to display all elements, in spec and out,
> from version 1.0 forward without updating their code. The code would
> know about the structure, but it wouldn't have to know about the
> defined elements in the spec.

That's vague and largely unactionable. What do I do if people don't conform
to these guidelines ? Does it mean I'd effectively parse this unknown data then
check its tree depth and other structural constraints in order to figure out whether
it'll fit in my UI ? Then what if it doesn't ? Up to me ? What's the win of this vs.
a well-known extension point with two levels of grouping ? If all we want is a lang
attribute and a hierarchy depth of 2, let's just define the elements and attributes
for that and let users fill it in. So we have clear, clean, simple conformance and
predictable results with no need to handle nearly any random input.

We're not making our lives simpler by implicitly requiring or suggesting the rendering
of arbitrary documents. If the latter turned out to be necessary, we can still get back
to it in a future rev of the spec, but this time on the basis of real-world use-cases and
customer input.

As opposed to assuming such openness is desirable by mere virtue of being possible with a few
lines of script, that the one-size-fits-all rendering of it will always be appropriate, accessible
and usable regardless of the input, and thus needlessly over-engineering something that is supposed
to be *metadata*.