RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:20 AM Gustavo Ferreira wrote:

> A user visits a website which uses WOFF fonts.
>
> He/she likes the fonts and wants to get more information about them:
> what's their name? who designed them, when? what is their license? are
> they free/open? where can I get them? etc.
>
> How will he/she get to this info?
>
> (Just trying to understand how this would work.)

This information is supposed to be provided as the extended metadata in the WOFF file. However, the only way to see it is if the browser enables some kind of UI option ("page info", "font info", etc.) or exposes WOFF metadata via a special purpose API. Currently, there is nothing in the WOFF spec that would suggest/recommend for a browser to expose the metadata info to a user.

Regards,
Vlad