RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:48 PM Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> > From: Jonathan Kew [mailto:jfkthame@googlemail.com]
> > Actually, I'd suggest that unless there are significant technical
> > problems with using XML as currently specified (modulo any
> > clarifications etc that we decide are needed), we probably shouldn't
> be
> > reopening this issue. As the Charter
> > <http://www.w3.org/2009/08/WebFonts/charter.html> says, "...the group
> > would be chartered to only make the minimal changes needed for
> > interoperability and standardisation." Replacing the XML metadata
> with
> > JSON or some other format is hardly such a "minimal change", unless
> the
> > existing XML option is fundamentally flawed in some way.
>
> Unless implementations of the metadata block format already exist, or
> large
> numbers of fonts have been distributed that use the format currently
> specified,
> there would seem to be limited interop risk to reopening this. This
> is probably our last chance.

I would agree with Sylvain that if we were to consider revisiting the definition of the metadata format this is our only chance to do it. I think this kind of activity would still be within our current WG scope since the goal of the format revision (if we get to a consensus) is to improve interoperability and simplify future implementations.

Regards,
Vlad