Re: WOFF and extended metadata

Sylvain, the point of my original message was to game-out an opposing viewpoint for the sake of discussion. I never took anything as self-evident. I wrote: "I have some nagging concern about it, but I'm not sure there's any proper way to address it. My concern might also be relatively abstract and not compelling to anyone else."

The answer to your question was in my original post. It was not offering it with conviction, but as a theory by which other might be compelled or not. My intention was to "run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes." John H. showed some interest, and perhaps a few others, but what ultimately happened was we cleared up some misunderstanding and got clarity about other issues. That pretty much met my expectations.

I still have concern about parts of my original argument. I don't want to see the extended metadata marginalized, because it was a major factor in foundries supporting WOFF. I am sympathetic to the concerns of browser developers. I think perhaps what's needed is for foundries to work together to ensure metadata is prevalent and predictable so that UAs will see value in exposing it.

-Christopher