Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:19:27 PM, Robert wrote:

ROC> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir
ROC> <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:
ROC>
ROC> The big question remains - what can we do to ensure that the
ROC> significant percentage of UAs offer support for some form of UI
ROC> displaying extended metadata to enable font vendors, web authors
ROC> and end users "reap the full benefits, whatever they may be".
ROC>
ROC>
ROC> Lobby UAs to do that. For open-source UAs, contribute patches to
ROC> do that. That's really all you can do.

As an example, Firefox supports extensions and I run one called FontFinder
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4415/

> FontFinder is created for designers, developers and typographers. It allows a user to analyze the font information of any element on a page, copy any piece(s) of that information to the clipboard, and perform inline replacements to test new layouts.

which supplies useful information about the selected text in a random web page, including the font family.

The developers of that extension might be interested to add extra info from a WOFF font.

ROC> Trying to legislate it
ROC> through spec text is going to be painful, clumsy and ineffective.

Doing it *solely* through spec text may well be ineffective yes. That doesn't men it should not be in the spec; it means that spec text, coding and lobbying go hand in hand.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG