Re: Agenda, action items and suggested WOFF changes

Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> In practice, will web authors use a tool to generate a WOFF file, or will the
> font maker give them that WOFF file ? Does the author get a TTF with a license
> to make WOFFs out of it but only those can be used on the web, or does he get
> a no-web-use/no-conversion license for the TTF version and a separate WOFF with
> a web-use license ?

All the commercial font vendors with whom I've discussed this are
working on the latter model, i.e. no conversion licenses, WOFFs
delivered direct from the foundry. I'm sure there will be exceptions,
including customer-specific licenses to permit conversion, just as there
are special licenses that already permit customers to do things that the
general retail EULA does not, but I'm pretty sure that the main
licensing model for web fonts from commercial vendors will involve WOFF
files from the vendor, most likely serialised and with customer-specific
meda-data in both font and wrapper.

JH