Re: WebFonts WG discussions

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Matt Colyer <matt@typekit.com> wrote:
> Ahh, now I understand what you want to do. What I think you want is
> cyptographic file signing (like the DSIG table, which didn't ever really
> take off). http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/dsig.htm
> That way a WOFF file could be guaranteed to be unmodified by the original
> author and no one (unless they got your private key) could properly resign
> the file (but a checksum as previously pointed out could be easily
> recalculated).
> However this would require alot of effort to create a web of trust for
> foundry certificates. Assuming all of this did work, what should happen if a
> file wasn't properly signed? What should happen if it was signed but not by
> a trusted entity?
> I think the most difficult part of this is creating a user experience that
> effectively used the signing information without causing a disruption to the
> average web user. The Firefox 3 SSL warning page has had to deal with
> similar
>issues http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150215/debating_the_firefox_ssl_certificate.html
> Thoughts?
> -Matt

One minor issue with DSIGs for desktop fonts, moving to the web, is
that the DSIG is an extra ~4K to the file size.

If one is concerned about keeping file size down, adding *another*
DSIG seems like a bad idea. A tiny checksum is a different matter.

Regards,

"I've discovered the worst place to wander while arguing on a
hands-free headset." — http://xkcd.com/736/