Re: What constitutes protection [was: About using CORS]

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Garrick Van Buren <garrick@kernest.com>wrote:

> Sylvain,
> > The awkwardness already exists. Firefox has limited fonts to the same
> > origin since the beginning. It sounds like no one has complained.
>
> Yes - and the day I upgraded, it broke a significant portion of my work.

I guess you mean you upgraded from one nightly Firefox build to another,
since we never shipped a release that didn't have a default same-origin
check. Did you file a bug or provide other feedback describing your
situation and why the check was a problem for you?

Now the conversation is around recommending a single technical solution to
> accommodate the thousands of different licensing terms?

No, we are offering a tool that will make it very convenient for authors to
implement the check required by the majority of non-free font licenses.

If you want to use a font with some exotic license that requires something
other than a same-origin check, you're no worse off than you were before.

It is conceivable that a license exists that would be violated because of
> this recommendation.

I can't think of a realistic example. Can you give one?

Rob
53:5-6]