Re: Format name proposals

From: Ben Weiner <ben@readingtype.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:42:54 +0100
To: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Hi,

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> (Note that even if OT/OFF don't diverge, the issue of choosing what to
> support already exists. Not all software supports both TrueType and
> CFF outlines. Not all software supports all the layout tables, or all
> the possible features that can be included in them. Not all software
> supports bitmap data in sfnt containers. Unfortunately, I don't think
> it's realistic for the web font format(s) to try and legislate
> precisely what (sub)set of OpenType/OFF has to be implemented; that'll
> just turn into another never-ending debate.)
As we're still at ground level, is there any mileage in starting a wiki
(or wiki page) to bring together information about which web software
does support each of the options above? The most obvious one I guess is
TrueType versus CFF. Might help us web developers.

Ben

--
Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html