W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-font@w3.org > July to September 2009

Re: Not replacing OTF/TTF linking

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:46:14 -0500
Message-ID: <dd0fbad0908100646m783d2369g175e8b71b9bdbb21@mail.gmail.com>
To: Ricardo Esteves <ricardo@outrasfontes.com>
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Ricardo Esteves<ricardo@outrasfontes.com> wrote:
> Supose that we have Format 1, that works in Browser A, B and C and
> Format 2 that works in Browser B, D and E.
> So Foundry/Vendor X can analyze the Pros and Cons involved and decide
> to licence its fonts using Format 1, Format 2, or both maybe. For now,
> I'm beta-testing everything that is possible.

No, from an author's (that is, *my*) perspective, that's the situation
we have today, and it's horrible.  If we have Format 1 and Format 2,
but neither is interoperably supported, then it's still a giant hassle
to deal with, one that I probably don't even want to bother with if I
can avoid it.

Multiple formats are fine, as long as they each have reasonably full
interop.  Anything else is absolutely useless and not worth the time
speccing/implementing.

~TJ
Received on Monday, 10 August 2009 13:47:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Saturday, 11 June 2011 00:14:03 GMT