Re: WebOTF Proposal

I'm still left wondering why WebOTF can't be
improved with a simple tweak:

1) Make the directory the same format as
   OTF
2) Eliminate the alignment requirement (table padding)
3) Restore DSIG - it should apply to the classic-OTF
   part of the directory and tables.
4) Compress the whole file in discrete chunks and
   add a separate directory for those

That gets you WebOTF as the concatenation of three
files, plus an optional compression step.  The
compression step and separate directory for random
access is a generic mechanism, even if only fonts
happen to implement it.

It's unfortunate, and I'm still stunned and sad
that gzip and bzip2 never got around to it, that
generic whole-file compression doesn't already
have that indexing feature but there is no reason
to make the problem worse!

Skepticism about the importance and utility
of the divergence from OTF and media-specific
compression-scheme is also then "not an issue".

-t