Re: EOT & DMCA concerns

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

>  > > This is a real concern. By accepting EOTL (and not EOTC) browser
>  > > vendors accept to ship an inferior product.
>  >
>  > Only in the sense that you are currently shipping an inferior product,
>  > and will continue to do so.  I don't think Opera considers itself
>  > inferior for not shipping EOT.
>
> Things change if you start supporting a "lite" version of a standards.
> People will expect you to soon start supporting the "full" standard.

Don't call it "EOT Lite" - call it "EOT 2" or something ~ then the
original EOT is the version past its sell-by date.

>  > > Microsoft marketing would
>  > > quickly claim that only they "fully support EOT".
>  >
>  > That's claimable *right now*.
>
> Again, the comparison changes if competitors start supporting the
> "lite" version, thereby seemingly acknowleding that the standard is
> a good idea.
>
> I don't think "EOT Lite" is such a good idea. I don't *any* standard
> should have the word "lite" in it:

I think "Lite" was simply adopted for the purpose of discussion - and,
as others have already suggested, the name was a rather unfortunate choice.

>   We begin with the name.  The members of the Rapporteur Group strongly
>   prefer "DSSSL Core" over "DSSSL Lite" as the name of the mandatory
>   subset of DSSSL, for two reasons.  First, "Lite" is the well-known
>   name of a particularly insipid brand of beer; and second, the term
>   "DSSSL Lite" suggests incorrectly that what is being referred to is a
>   standard parallel to and separate from DSSSL itself.  This discussion
>   is not about the establishment of a separate standard but rather about
>   the definition of a conformance level of DSSSL.
>
>   http://xml.coverpages.org/dssslCore1.txt

I don't think anyone is suggesting this *must* be called "EOT Lite". If
the name is changed to something better would you support it?

- CF