Re: EOT & DMCA concerns

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Thomas Lord<lord@emf.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 17:17 -0500, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> > No, somebody already called "no takebacks".
>> >
>> > More seriously, it's called "-lite" because that's
>> > what it is, it's not what it is because it's
>> > called that.  It's revealing to hear the suggestion
>> > "let's just change the name, then".
>>
>> Well, when the objection is "I don't like the name",
>

> Seriously, that's what you think the objection is?
> Read more carefully!

I did.  I responded to it point-by-point.  Hakon's response to that
was essentially "Okay, but the *marketing* problem can still be worse
because of the name.".  Change the name, and you remove that problem -
Microsoft can no longer position itself as supporting *all* the EOT
versions compared to everyone else just supporting Lite.  Instead
we'll have Microsoft supporting EOT (just like today), and then
everybody supporting WROTEv1 or whatever.  That's harder to spin, and
spin seems to be what Hakon was objecting to.

You may not be objecting to the name, but you weren't the person I was
talking to in those emails.

~TJ