Re: cutting to the chase

John, I think you are conflating two concepts
that are usefully kept separate.

One concept is that UAs ought to be technologically
capable of handling TTF/OTF fonts.

The other concept is that there ought to be some
other, yet unidentified format.  In this second
format, some otherwise reluctant font vendors might
be willing to permit web use of their fonts while
continuing to forbid TTF/OTF of their fonts on
the web.

I think if you look at the facts on the ground,
you'll see that many us (even I!) have a desire
for that second format.  It may yet come around -
in another few years, after many thousand more
exchanges (at this rate).  And I think you'll see
that nobody has the slightest *substantive* objection
to the TTF/OTF support that already exists in
most browsers.

Nothing in sanctifying TTF/OTF *tomorrow* as a
a Recommendation precludes, in the future, bringing
forward that second format.  Nothing about the discussion
of that second format suggests agreement around it
is forthcoming anytime soon, if ever.  Separate concerns.

-t