Supporting EOT-Lite

From: Christopher Fynn <cfynn@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 07:03:01 +0200
To: www-font@w3.org

Just now I'm visiting Siliguri, the largest city in northern West Bengal which is the transport and trading hub for NE India. I've popped into some different Internet Cafes here which are mostly franchises of (Indian) national chains. They are *all* using Windows 2000 or Windows XP and IE 6.

IE6 because it supports embedded EOT fonts used on many Indian Language websites. Many of these Internet cafes say they would be would be using Firefox but it doesn't work with these sites. I found onlt one independent Internet Cafe using Firefox - and nobody using IE 7 or 8.

I think *this* is a good illustration of the reason to support EOT Lite.
There are millions of users in developing countries whose access to the internet is limited to systems like these. Embedded fonts are particularly important for non-Roman scripts - and in these countries systems running old versions of Windows and IE are going be the norm for years to come.

There may be very up-to-date Internet Cafes in some parts of Bangalore, Bombay and Delhi - or in luxury hotels elsewhere in the country - but that is not what most people have access too.

.webfont or .ZOT may be good for the future but for the users I'm concerned with  EOT Lite seems to be the only practical solution that works now.

regards

- CF