Re: EOT-Lite File Format v.1.1

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:56:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Thomas, I really don't follow anything you're saying.

We're trying to define a simple format that just happens to work in
IE.  EOT-Classic, MTX compression and XOR-swizzled data is something
for IE to worry about.  Versions of IE <= IE8 will not be "conformant"
implementations of EOT-Lite (e.g. no same origin check, data in the
padding fields dictate load behvavior) but future versions will.
EOT-Lite is defined in such a way that the fonts will still render in
IE4-IE8, it's this backwards compatibility that has been put forward
as the motivation behind this format.

If you want to propose something else, EOT-Thomas, fine, do so.  But
suggestions that non-IE browser vendors want/should/could/might/desire
to support EOT-Classic fonts are way off track.