RE: EOT-Lite File Format v.1.1

Why does it need a dual implementation ? As all EOTLs are also EOT, any
conforming EOT implementation can load any EOTL.

What you may have missed is that earlier versions of the EOT header did
not in fact have any rootstrings. This is the header that will be used
for EOTLs and the font loader knows how to deal with those. The one change
to IE9 would be to use all the checks specified in John's draft to determine
whether a file is a valid EOTL; if it is, then do the same-origin/CORS check
that it recommends.