Re: EOT-Lite File Format

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:39:15 -0700
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Vladimir wrote:

> Strictly speaking, this is not necessary. The EOT-Lite format, as outlined by John Daggett, allows browsers to simply skip all fields of EOT header that are irrelevant for EOT-Lite.

But that implies that it may treat an EOT font as if it were EOTL, if
TTEMBED_TTCOMPRESSED and TTEMBED_XORENCRYPTDATA flags check out, and
that seems to me problematic if it means that a non-nil rootstring with
meaningful content relative to that EOT font -- and perhaps to the
license for that EOT font -- is ignored. The whole point of the EOTL
format is to make a new format that is not burdened by rootstrings, not
to treat all existing old-format EOT fonts with rootstrings as if they
were EOTL.

JH