Re: EOT-Lite File Format

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:43:35 -0700
To: rfink@readableweb.com
CC: 'John Daggett' <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, 'www-font' <www-font@w3.org>
Richard Fink wrote:

> Indeed, absolutely right. When I quizzed Bill Davis about EOT classic's reliance on these bits to allow or disallow the creation of an EOT CL file at TypeCon, the answer turned into a group explanation - by several people - that the embedding bits WERE PRE-WEB...

Not pre-web per se, I think -- or rather thought --, but spec'd with
non-web documents in mind. But Tom Phinney, who was there at the time I
believe, says it was otherwise and that web use was in peoples' minds
when the embedding bits were spec'd.

I hardly think it matters though, because the OT spec is not explicit
one way or the other, and these bits have assumed meanings relative to
non-web documents that do not translate easily to web parallels.

> I was told unequivocally the EULA was primary.

Yes.

JH